Friday, October 28, 2005

pierre berton lives on

went to the launch last night of For the Love of History, a collection of pieces from the first 10 recipients of the Pierre Berton Award for History, including Charlotte Gray, Peter C. Newman and Patrick Watson. I normally avoid book launches ('cause I'm shy) but couldn't miss this one, if only for the chance to see the inimitable Will Ferguson (Hitching Rides With Buddha), winner of the 2005 award. Will has been called "Pierre Berton with attitude" which, as Will himself says, is odd because Berton had loads of attitude.

I also went to the launch because I crossed my heart and promised Elsa Franklin I would go. She was Pierre Berton's business partner for 42 years and was the driving force behind For the Love of History and Canada Moves West. Ms. Franklin is a force of nature and I would do anything for her.

Newly published by Fifth House, Canada Moves West is an omnibus of Berton's previously published YA books, The Railway Pathfinders, The Men in Sheepskin Coats, A Prairie Nightmare, Steel Across the Plains and Steel Across the Shield. Forget the young adult designation, it's a rousing read and shows that Canadian history is (was?) anything but boring.

No comments: